Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone
Ada Kiwanis President Harold Friesner called the 40th meeting (Aug. 7) of the 2011-2012 Kiwanis Year to order at 12:03 p.m. at McIntosh Center, Ohio Northern University
Jon Umphress offered the Invocation.
The following guests were introduced: Rev. David MacDonald, new ONU Chaplain; Pat Searfoss and Amanda Quintrell from the ReStore ministry
The wedding anniversaries of Peter and Jeanne Previte, Aug. 2, 1975; Brian and Sandy Myers, Aug. 4, 2006; Jolene and Bart Bailey, Aug. 5, 1987; Bob and Myrna McCurdy, Aug. 6, 1966; and Ann and Loren Hamilton, Aug. 8, 2009 were noted.
– A treasurer’s report was heard.
– The annual Ohio District Kiwanis is in Boardman, Ohio. Jeff Schulman, Myrna McCurdy, Jon Umphress and Bob McCurdy will attend.
– The club will participate in the annual Harvest and Herb Festival on Saturday, Sept. 15.
– A Division 2 meeting will be held on Sept. 26 in Lima The purpose to welcome the incoming Lt. Gov. and an introduction of Jeff Schulman as Lt. Governor-Elect for 2013-2014 Kiwanis year.
– Kiwanis Education Minute: Aktion clubs are Kiwanis internationalís newest sponsored program, officially adopted in 2000. Aktion club is a service club for youth and adults with disabilities, who elect officers, raise funds, and choose and conduct community-service projects with guidance from their Kiwanis sponsors. More than 300 Aktion clubs are now providing their members with leadership and service opportunities.
– Something to consider: A couple of quotes by Abraham Lincoln: I am not concerned whether God is on my side or not, but I am concerned whether I am on Godís side. And Abe said: I am a slow walker, but I never walk backwards.
– Upcoming meetings/events: Aug. 14, Bob McCurdy; Aug. 21, Marilyn Green; Aug. 28, Mike Hood; Sept. 4, Jolene Bailey; Sept. 15, Harvest and Herb Festival.
Restore Executive Director Pat Searfoss introduced Amanda Quintrell, a 2011 graduate from Ohio Northern University. She is the new AmeriCorps VISTA Program Coordinator at Restore.
AmeriCorps VISTA is the national service program designed specifically to fight poverty.
She discussed that they will hold a mobile food bank that will help deliver 5000 pounds of food on Aug. 21 that will be given out at the former United Methodist Church parking lot. There are no requirements for people to pick up the food.
She mentioned that ReStore has partnered with Ada Schools to provide meals to disadvantaged children in Ada where 49 percent of the students get free or reduced prices. They also made some other programs that will help children try a variety of foods.
Over the past few weeks they have been feeding over 100 people for the Community Meal on Crockpot Tuesday. Donations go into the ministry’s Beacon Fund.
She also discussed that they have designated a community garden coordinator and they will be continuing that program.
Friesner then adjourned the meeting at 12:45 p.m.
The Ada Kiwanis Club meets weekly at noon at McIntosh Center (Activities Room 7), ONU. Guests are always welcome.
For more information, visit the club’s web site www.adakiwanis.org.