Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone
A one-year contract with non-certified employees was adopted by the Kenton Board of Education at its meeting Monday night.
The agreement with the Ohio Association of Public School Employees Local 344 runs from July 1, 2012 to June 30, 2013.
The employees agreed to a continuing wage freeze. The contract does call for a board contribution of $125 for each employee into a health account.
Also at the meeting, the board:
– Heard a presentation by sixth grader Delaney Althauser about a sixth grade story telling camp conducted by Ryan Collins and Jenifer Stauffer.
– Approval renewal of property, fleet and liability insurance with SORSA consortium in the amount of $63,335 for the 2012-2013 school year. Treasurer Steve Ashba said it is a $7,680 increase because of a jump in insurance claims in the consortium. He noted the district has zero deductibles for most coverages which is a big benefit.
– Approved temporary appropriations for fiscal year 2013.
– Heard Superintendent Jennifer Penczarski thank the teaching staff for its continuing work during the summer months by attending inservice training sessions. Last week the focus was on co-teaching for special education to learn how to help students with disabilities. More training is continuing this week with consultant Eve Hayes. Penczarski noted the professional development is paid for through grants.
– Approved a new student authorization form. Several forms required to be completed by parents at the start of the school year have been condensed to one form, front and back. The goal is to eventually have the parents complete the form online.
– Approved the high school and middle school handbooks, both of which include an updated policy on bullying and student harassment to reflect changes at the state and federal level, as well as cyber bullying. The middle school handbook also includes a change in the dress code to align with codes already in place at the elementary and high school levels.
The next regular meeting of the Kenton school board will be at 7 p.m. Monday, July 23 at the administration office.
By TIM THOMAS