Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone
McGUFFEY — Upper Scioto Valley Superintendent Dennis Recker want to see the district’s test score improve and soon.
“We’re not going to take a year to try and figure out what we’re going to do next year,” Recker told the school board during its regular meeting Monday night. “We’re going to take action immediately.”
The board took the first step in doing this by approving the job description for a Curriculum Redesign and Implementation Leader.
The person filling the role will be an on-site person with a background in curriculum that can work with the district’s teachers on a daily basis to identify areas that students are weak in and take a look at such things as lesson design.
“What we’re going to do is address the gaps in performance in (testing) and plug those gaps immediately,” Recker said. “…We want to put the structural support in place to bring about immediate improvement to student performance.
“We’re going to reconfigure the classes based on who the teachers have, baseline performance individually and be able to lay out where the children are lacking on a class by class basis.”
Recker added the person filling the position will also help with trying to improve Ohio Graduation Test scores at the high school level.
Recker said he district has received a federal grant to help pay for this person and should be notified of the amount of the grant in August.
In other action, the board:
– Approved supplemental contracts for Tyler Niekamp, varsity boys basketball coach; Mike Coder, assistant girls basketball coach and event coordinator; Dustin Price, junior high boys basketball; Evan Jackson, golf coach and event coordinator and Kellen Fetter, volunteer football coach.
– Approved as classified substitutes for the 2012-13 school year were Angela Decker, Melissa Decker, Jessica Evans, Cindy Ferkins, Tim Hamilton, Treena Krummrey, Kandy Kurtz, Judy Lawrence, Jonica Lowery, Diane Pinks, Paul Ralston, Dennis Shadley, Kathy Shepherd, Ashley Shepherd and Claribell Stalder.
– Approved the renewal of Stolly Insurance and Markel as the student insurance carrier.
– Approved advancing Jamie Sanders on the salary scale for additional education.
– Amended the contract of Nicole Preston to 3/4 time of 5.25 hours per day.
– Approved an iCourse Services agreement with TRECA for providing online instruction as a credit flexibility option for students as presented.
– Approved an agreement with Matthew Slattman to serve as athletic trainer for $150 per home varsity football contest.
– Approved by a 3-0-1 vote a supplemental contract for Danny Holbrook to serve as junior varsity boys basketball coach and event coordinator. Board member Dave Holbrook abstained from voting.
– Approved amending Lori Lowery’s contract to 4.5 hours per day and masters column 6, step 15.
– Approved by a 3-0-1 vote the addition of Joyce Campbell as a classified substitute. Board President Barry Campbell abstained.
– Approved amending the contract of Bridget Moots, who is in charge of accounts payable and EMIS, to $16.55 per hour for eight hours per day and 250 days per year.
– Approved a contract for Susan Shepherd as administrative assistant.
– Approved a one year retire/rehire contract for Susan Lasure as transportation facilitator.
– Approved a one year retire/rehire for Betsy Birtle as food service supervisor.
– Approved Melissa Carl and Tiffany Daring as an educational aides.
– Approved a contract with Ohio Hi-Point for the shared services of Dustin Price for two periods per day as social studies teacher for the 2012-13 school year.
– Approved the resignation of elementary teacher Deone Rieman. Rieman has taken a position at Ada.
– Approved the reinstatement of elementary teacher Alexis Krummrey from the RIF list.
– Approved the adoption and enforcement of a nutrition standards policy that considers the requirements of the Ohio Revised Code and governs the types of foods and beverages that may be sold on the premises.
By KENDRICK JESIONSOWKSI
Times sports editor